They were so much fun!. I was immediately hooked. I want one!. But I had some questions; safety, range, speed, charging time, can you carry things on it and of course price.
So I decided to do some research - everything is made in China right? Surely I can buy one locally and enjoy my commute to work. I decided I want the i2 Commuter model.
Yes, they are very safe, apparently because they rely on your body weight for direction, you can't fall off them, they just correct themselves and stand upright again if you over balance or over correct. Yes, the i2 Commuter model comes with a built in storage pack on the front. Yes, the range is great; 34km on one battery charge. Yes, the speed is good; 20km maximum. Price.... $10 000. What!?!Plus, ,they are perhaps they only thing not made in China. In fact the inventor refuses to have them made in China because he fears the technology will be copied and fake copies will flood the market. A valid claim, fake everything floods the market in China. But, at $10 000 an item, surely exploration of cheaper production costs is valid too. Wasn't this thing invented as a green alternative, in the hope that they would take off in just a few years (invented in 2001- hasn't happened) and a reliable green alternative to city transport could be a reality, not at the expense of the profit margin it seems.
I will own one... eventually, even if it means I am 70 and ride it around the retirement village. In the mean time, how does one apply for a job as a security guard at Bangkok Airport?
$10000 is more thna you have ever spent on a car!!!! Good Lord that's expensive!
ReplyDeleteBut it does look like fun!!!!
Big hugs from the R clan
xoxoxoxoxox
That is hilarious. I've always wanted to try one. There's a clip on youtube of a woman stacking it on one.
ReplyDelete