Monday, April 5, 2010

Tick that off my list....



When I was about 15, I remember sitting in the school library and picking up a book and reading (for the first time ever) about the terra-cotta warriors. I was instantly fascinated and decided that I would see them for myself one-day. I did in fact accomplish that this weekend, a good 15 or so years later.

It was truly remarkable. A little disappointing that you can't get too close to them, but have to look at the pits from some distance above, but completely understandable considering how culturally valuable they are and how many visitors they receive each year. The scale of the project by the Emperor and the work excavation work being done by the archaeologists today is mind boggling. Imagine putting all those pieces together?

Xi'an is an interesting city to visit - the Winter Palace was gorgeous and the city walls were very impressive. I found the modern city a little more rural and dustier and dirtier than Suzhou. But the blossoms are out all over China and the city looked very pretty.

We bought back a souvenir from Xi'an a one-third sized warrior. He shall sit in our living room and we shall call him Terry. He shall protect us from terra-cotta and other clay based enemies.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there - glad you enjoyed Xi'an and the Warriors,we did too when we went. Unfortunately we couldn,t bring home a "Terry" with us - would have looked rather majestic in our garden I think!! Cheers, Aunty Kate

    ReplyDelete