Wednesday, March 4, 2009

How embarrassment.....

Apartment crawl 2 happened last weekend. Background: A bunch of us live in the same apartment complex. Mind you this is a two block 80 building complex. We decided to have a 'kraawl' (to be said with an Australian accent). Basically half a dozen apartments host the rest of the residents and provide food and beverage of a theme. Often country of origin or previous residence.

This apartment kraawl was great. We also decided upon a fancy dress with the theme of as crazy as you like. We had some very very enthusiastic cross-dressers, sleezy moustached men and crazy ladies. Mark and I decided to go as the Tai Chi couple we see out of our kitchen window every day - complete with matching unique pajamas that can only be described as very Chinese, Kung Fu slippers and Mark's hair tied on top of his head like a tellie-tubbie.

The night wound down at about 2am. We trudged back in the rain to our apartment, lets say slightly tipsy, wet and in our pajamas. We got to the front door and realised we had forgotten our door security key. Not our front door key but the card that lets you in to the building to get to the lift. Duh....

Nothing to do but go to the guards booth at 2am in our pajamas, lets say slightly pissy and try and communicate that we can't get in. I gestured very vividly to him about our situation. He then decided to recite war and peace to us in Chinese, at which point I repeated our situation with larger gestures. He got on his walky-talky thing and spoke at length to the guy on the other end of the walky-talky. The only word I understood was 'laowai' (foreigner) probably had the Chinese word for stupid in front of it. Then he stopped talking and just looked at us.

We then rang our very lovely friend who speaks Chinese (don't worry I didn't wake her, it was her place we left from) she spoke to him for us - finally another guard came over with a huge umbrella (great idea for the rain i hear) and let us in.....How embarrassment!!!

5 comments:

  1. OOh....sounds like fun. Can we do that when we come to visit?? Not long now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those were some great PJs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, and here I was in Shanghai like a sucker.. like a SUCKER!

    Though maybe non-SSIS (or Ssissies as I like to call you) aren't allowed?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, I'm happy to help you translate to the guards why you are in your PJs without the door key during the rain. Anytime, anytime. Any other translation scenarios will be determined on a case-by-case basis.

    Hmm... I think Ryan could be allowed in, what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Elvina.... You are the best tour guide ever.

    ReplyDelete